If you’re planing to renovate your home, you need to know the basics of the costs involved in doing up your home interiors. The overall costs involved in home interior design are under the following heads:
- Interior designer’s / Architect’s fees: This is the fee an interior designer or Architect will charge you for preparing the designs, detailed drawings and BOQs for your interior project. The fees can be lump sum fees for the entire project or a per square foot fixed fee or a percentage of the total cost of the interior fitout. The current rate for a per square foot fee is between Rs. 250 to Rs. 500. The standard percentage fee is between 10% to 20% of the total cost of the interior.
- Cost of civil work: Most of the new home will have the civil work ready like bathrooms, plumbing, flooring, door and window frames, brick walls, etc so you may not incur this cost unless you plan to redo the flooring and the bathrooms. The average per square foot cost for civil work is between Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1200
- Cost of Carpentry work: This will include your TV Consoles, bookshelves, dining tables, wardrobes, beds, seating, paneling, etc. This cost may even include some bought out items like sofas, center tables, etc. The average cost here is between Rs. 1800 to Rs. 2000 per square foot.
- False ceiling: The cost of false ceiling and painting can be around Rs. 200 per square foot
- Lighting: This includes light fixtures including task lighting and ambient lighting. The average cost is Rs. 300 per square foot.
- Electrical work: The per square foot cost of electrical work is about Rs. 500 per square foot.
- White goods: The cost of white goods is generally excluded from the costing as it has a wide range of cost depending upon the clients preferences.
Considering all the above points we can assume a basic cost per square foot of around Rs. 3500 without civil work and around Rs. 4500 with civil work. Note that these are average costs based on a good interior fit out for a standard Mumbai home. Costs can go up or down based on the materials you select.